Monday, January 3, 2011

Victim, victim... TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!

After PSI, I have developed a new pet peeve:


People who tell victim stories.
(Meaning those people who blame other people, things, circumstances, etc to what happened to them)

A victim story goes like this:
"Grabe, nung isang araw inis na inis ako kasi super traffic sa Ayala, na-late tuloy ako sa meeting ko."
This example is a classic example of a victim story because I guess it's safe to say that people actually use this excuse when they are late. People ALWAYS blame the rush hour for being late.

PSI has taught me to take responsibility of what happens to me.I would give this same excuse to my boss every damn time I was late. Oh, sure, whenever I reached the terminal, there's this long ass line and everything gets ugly when we reach C5. But the truth is I woke up, prolly, an hour late that's why I got stuck in traffic on the way to work. I would've gotten up a few hours earlier. I know I'd hear non-stop parinigs from my boss regarding my being late but it sure would've been better to take responsibility of what happened to me than just blame something I can't control.

I know there are things you can't control in your life: traffic jams, a nagging mom or an absent boyfriend but you can always take control of your part in the situation and even the way you would respond to situations you are in. By taking control of these aspects of your life, you see things in a different perspective. The word "understanding" would mean more to you.

Now, since I know that I should be taking control of my thoughts and responses, I should probably understand that not all people are brave enough to take responsibility of what happens to them. I should help them take control of their life rather than blame everything else around them. It will be hard to do that because most people don't accept their faults and can't accept the fact that I may be right but I will not stop. One person at a time lang naman, I don't have to conduct a seminar to 40+ people, anyway.

P.S. Sabog-sabog ang thoughts ko, sorry. I was distracting myself. Will prolly fix this one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment