Monday, June 27, 2011

Does it make any difference?

I haven't heard the Philippine National Anthem for the longest time - I don't watch Manny Pacquiao boxing matches, okay? - let alone SING it.




This morning, I got the chance to experience a government office morning rites in PhilHealth Pasig Branch (to those who will be asking, it's located at the DAP Bldg., St. Francis Ave., Ortigas across Lourdes School of Mandaluyong) and naturally, they'd sing the National Anthem. So I put my right hand over my chest as I was taught in school and started singing. But having an attention span shorter than Brianna's, I started watching the people around me and noticed not everyone had their hands over their chests. This got me asking why.

I was taught in all of my years in school that whenever the Philippine flag is present in the venue or you can see it from where you are and the National Anthem is being played, you should have your hand over your chest. Maybe it's the righteous makabayan in me but I think they've been taught the same way I did whatever school they were from and since this is one of the few things you learn from school that you get to actually use in your life, you SHOULD use it as much as you could and make your parents' hard-earned money spent on your 17++ years in school (depends on how well you did, if your school has 7th grade and what course you took up) worth it.

Or maybe it's just me thinking about trivial matters because I really don't have anything better to do. Yeah. Let's go with that.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments: