Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Newsman's Village

The Fourth Estate Subdivision - formerly called The Newsman's Village - along Sucat Road (now Dr. A. Santos Ave.) has been home to me for 23 years even if the last time I actually lived there was some 2-3 years ago. It witnessed all my firsts: first tooth, first Holy Communion, first heartbreak. I was forever in love with the place even without the knowledge of its (apparently) wonderful history. I just knew that our family was among the first ones to settle in this housing project for the National Press Club employees and that we were pretty popular that side of town. My appreciation for the place and one certain individual grew even more when I read FES' history from the souvenir they handed out during the reunion just this morning.

I will not tell you all of FES' history because it might bore you and I don't think you'd want to know when water became available to the homeowners or who the first Homeowners Association president was. But I will tell you this: The Newsman's Village was the first ever housing project to have ever been approved by Malacanang. President Macapagal wanted to help his countrymen so much then that this project became irresistible to him. Macario Vicencio, then National Press Club president, pitched this project to Pres. Macapagal not only for his fellow journalists but for the whole newspaper production team (writers, photographers, advertisers, even those who delivered newspapers to the stores) to have a chance to get their own house and lot. Long story short, it got approved and this idea of housing projects was then adopted by both government and private companies alike but Lolo Mac didn't get the recognition he deserved for coming up with this idea. Then started the long and proud history of Fourth Estate.

I didn't know 'til now that all the people I mingled with while I was living there were all part of the Philippines' (and Paranque's) history. I've interviewed Rod Reyes for INPRINT in college. I've greeted Mac Vicencio good morning for 3 years (at the very least) before he died. I've been "blessing" (mano) the hands of Dr. Jimena Alegre and Jose Monasterial. Heck, I'm even directly related to the late Emmanuel Tejada and Rodrigo Villa! Seeing their names and reading about their contributions to the society and to Philippine journalism was so surreal, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake. I was walking the same streets these wonderful people walked on!

I also have new-found respect for Lolo Mac Vicencio. I used to study in the school he established in the 80s and I admired him not only for building a school that caters to the youth of Fourth Estate but also for personally taking part of our education then. I remembered him as the old guy in our school clinic, forever hooked to the oxygen tank by his bed, asking me how my day went whenever I go there. Now, my respect for Lolo Mac shot up. He was the true pioneer and without him, I wouldn't have lived in the place I love most. I salute him. I still feel the way I did when I first read the history, which was 10 hours ago.

I've said this hundreds of times before and I'll say it again: I am a South girl and I am not afraid to admit that. Being part of a community of journalists - and great ones at that - is something I will forever be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment