Thursday, July 12, 2012

One of the boys.

I am currently listening to a Boys' Night Out podcast on iTunes dated February 27, 2012 with Derek Ramsey as their guest and they are talking about girls who always tell everyone that they are "one of the boys".

It got me thinking: I have more guy friends than girls and I am more comfortable hanging out with guys and I have been forcing my guy friends to take me with them to girly bars but I don't consider myself as one of them just because I know the difference between cowboy/tomboy and one of the boys nor do I broadcast "I am one of the boys" to everyone I meet. The boys, Derek and their callers defined the difference between the two and it proved the definition I know.

A cowboy or a tomboy is a girl who is game to do whatever it is that guys do. Smoke the stronger cigarettes, drink Pale Pilsen as opposed to Light, help the guys get the girls in the club... These are stuff that a cowboy girl does. Also, guys dig the cowboy. May malisya, ika nga. Though I am not saying that all my guy friends have malisya on me but I would want to believe (before) that they'd still want to date me even if we hangout a lot...and even if I had a boyfriend in the same group. Haha! Oo na, malandi na but it would be hypocritical for me to say that I don't want that kind of attention from the boys.

A one-of-the-boys girl, on the other hand, is a girl who the guys see, literally, as one of the guys. Like a bro. Someone who they won't sleep with because, well, he's one of the guys. If you're the girl, you shouldn't be declaring this. It's the other way around. The boys give you the title but once they've given you this title, it's best to assume that you are out. No chance of hooking up with anyone in the group. It's the guys' version of "friendzoning" a girl.

Now that everything's settled, which one are you? Or I think a better question would be which one would you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment