Monday, January 14, 2013

The downside of breastfeeding...

Ever since I gave birth, I became an advocate of breastfeeding and why shouldn't I? I've saved close to a hundred thousand pesos in the last two years I am doing it, it's healthy no matter what I do, Brianna has one of the toughest immune systems among all the babies I know and it keeps me (looking) fit for a mom who doesn't work out and diet plus I don't have to lug around an additional bag/cooler whenever Brianna and I go out for the bottles, water and formula. It's one of the most practical - and if you ask me, the most loving - decision a mom will ever make.

I've just recently doubted if I can actually stand by my decision. I looked like this while "trekking" the streets of Jestra in Tagaytay:

Photo taken by Jill Cruz

My friends and I slept over in Tagaytay for a much-needed bonding (for all of us) and a long-awaited break from mommy duties (for me) last weekend. I knew I won't get to breastfeed Brianna but I thought "Meh, isang araw lang naman". I regretted those words when I woke up at 7:30 the next morning. I thought I was just hungover from the night before so I forced myself to throw up to get rid of the alcohol and the tired feeling I had but as the day progressed, it got worse. I got to the point of crying hence the photo.

I've never been away from Brianna for that long in two years so it was the first time I felt it. My breasts were full of milk and my lower back was aching and I felt really, really, really tired. Not even the good tired, like the one I get when I run. I don't know how to explain it but I was really tired. I felt a little better after I slept in the bus on our way home but I was completely eased off the pain when I fed Brianna when I got home.

Okay, so it was my fault I didn't bring a breast pump to the trip but it's over and done now. Lesson learned: Next time I'm going away for that long, I'll make sure to bring a breast pump (Note to self: Buy new breast pumps).

No comments:

Post a Comment